[SAC] FOSS4G meet with OSUOSL update

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Sep 18 10:12:05 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Alex Mandel
<tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> Just some notes from when I had a change to sit down with Justin from
> OSUOSL.
>
> 3. Justin thinks there's enough space on other OSL hardware to shift
> osgeo4 vms for approximately 1 month so we can redo osgeo4. AKA switch
> to software raid 5, update the host OS, etc... We should schedule this
> in advance based on SAC availability to do required work.

> Summary we might be able to put off buying a machine for 6 months to a
> year. But I wouldn't want to hold off longer than that as our machines
> are nearing 4 years in age.

Will osgeo4 be on new infrastructure in six months?

>From an observer perspective, I see the most limited resource to be
SAC members' very kindly donated volunteer hours.  Making more SAC
work (migrate osgeo4-->OSUOSL-->osgeo4-->new infrastructure in 6
months) to delay hardware purchases doesn't seem like the best use of
SAC time.  That being said, I'm not the one doing the work so leave it
to those doing the work to suggest purchasing infrastructure and
migrating osgeo4-->new infrastructure.  I know that some of the work
needs to be done either way and sometimes it isn't actually easier to
do the 'simpler' route or that sometimes things just need to get done
sooner than other plans allow.

Best regards, Eli