[SAC] Any reason why the osgeo wiki does not use LDAP auth ?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Apr 9 09:35:13 PDT 2016

On 04/09/2016 12:57 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I was just wondering, why doesn't MediaWiki use LDAP authentication ?
>
> --strk;

There's a long history of discussions back on various email list. Short
answer, we never came up with a good way of linking/migrating the
existing accounts to match osgeo IDs and how to implement it.

The basic idea:
Add LDAP auth
Allow LDAP authenticated users to link to a previous wiki only account name.
Warn non LDAP users of the need to create (or redirect them to create
LDAP account).
Disable non-LDAP login.

If you can figure out all the steps and how to do those steps (Christian
and Martin can help with the Mediawiki parts), then we can finally push
it over.