[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:51:50 PDT 2016

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 10:30:22AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 09:59:02AM +0200, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:
> >
> > > As a not-that-worst alternative as sandro said, mattermost can replace
> > > slack. Note that it can also be integrated fully into gitlab, and the
> > > latest versions seem to have a IRC bridge.
> >
> > I was reading yesterday that having Mattermost a slack-compatible
> > API it can also be integrated fully into Gogs.
>
> Actually, I've just found out Mattermost also has a free/non-free
> (opencore) business model. The LDAP login is only with the
> "Enterprise edition":

While I also feel that the open core can be hard to swallow I noted that if
Mattermost is used with GitLab CE it will work with the LDAP integration:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-mattermost

> https://about.mattermost.com/pricing/
>
> Let's forget it, not worth the trouble.
> I hope to be still able in the future to talk with you all via IRC.

Agreed. I also agree with what Jürgen wrote about the downside of
fragmentation and while that also might be inevitable if there is to be
freedom, it would be good if a single channel is encouraged from the
organisation.