[SAC] LDAP: time of last usage

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Tue Sep 27 15:31:22 PDT 2016

Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Caching user objects would make password changes ineffective,
> are you sure this is really happening on any OSGeo service ?

The main purpose of "nscd" for example is to cache user objects and I'm
pretty sure several other higher level services are doing as well.
Think of a busy website authenticating against LDAP, without cache
they'd easily overload their directory service.

In order to reflect password changes they just need to look up the last
changed timestamp every once in a while, but not the entire user
object.

> Please let's use the appropriate ticket [1] to keep track of progress
> on this front, it also contains other references about "last bind"
> info.
>
> [1]  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1675

Didn't see that one before (too many unread emails), will try to stick
to it.

Cheers,