[SAC] Virtualbox on Osgeo6

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Nov 8 08:54:04 PST 2017

On 11/08/2017 02:18 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
> Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> Not part of sac so this is just opinion but I would containerize the db as
>> well (the db files themselves would be outside of the container). It makes
>> upgrading of the database trivial and isolates all the components of the
>> db and its dependencies together.
>
> I understand your point, but my view onto the topic is a different one.
>
> I wonder if anybody here is happy to maintain and backup a crowd of MySQL
> servers in individual containers or VM's.  I personally don't, therefore I'd
> be happy to aggregate the MySQL-requirements into a single or at least as
> few as possible instance and do proper maintenance and backup just there.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

I think he meant 1 mysql container that all the other containers can
point to.

That said I find system packages for a db to be much easier, since we do
not run unusual variants of the db. This would be different if say
someone needed always needed the absolute latest release because some
extension required it. i.e. Postgres 10 with Postgis 2.4.x is probably
not packaged for stable debian as fast as some would want.