[SAC] [Urgent][Vote] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 26 10:35:32 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 08:05:10AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/08/2017 02:46 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> >
> > How much time (and money?) would it take to request a new VM
> > from OSUOSL ? My understanding from reading the wiki page [1]
> > is that it would come already with LDAP shell access ?
> > [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Standard_System_Setup#Request_a_new_VM
>
> We would setup a VM ourselves on OSGeo6,

Does it mean the above wiki page section is wrong ?
It says new VMs should be asked to OSL after SAC agreed we need it ?

> we would not use the old base image
> because the Debian is not very recent. So it's all from scratch. So assuming
> we can decide quickly on how to implement, I'd say 2-8 hours of work.

I have some experience with Vagrant and Docker, could we get a new IP
to associate with the new VM ?

> If we
> want to do the VM part and have GetInteractive setup the Wordpress that
> probably also works. I see their bid as being a reasonable amount for the
> hours of an expert.

Could you make a call for quotes to do the VM and Wordpress setup
among SAC and OSGeo members ?

> There is a pool of money specific for this project, but the board considers
> it urgent, so unless we have people in mind for the contract (which
> GetInteractive is bidding on) the time delay is problematic.

I could give the Vagrant way a try, but I would feel much more
comfortable if someone who already setup VMs on OSGeo infra would
share the current protocols... I read on the (obsoleted?) wiki that
there's something called "Ganeti" which takes care of VM but it is
not clear to me who manages that (OSL ? OSGeo admins ?).