[SAC] Virtualbox on Osgeo6

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 26 14:26:23 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 07:46:18PM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I've tried installing Vagrant and Virtualbox on OSGeo6, via
> apt-get, but the install cannot complete w/out also installing
> a kernel module:
>
>   virtualbox-dkms - x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
>
> Do you know if it's safe to install that, and how to recover
> from a disaster (unbootable machine) ?

I found help in #osuosl for a physical presence, but found that
the problem is that kernel headers are missing on osgeo6, and the
installed kernel does not have corresponding headers.

Installed kernel is 4.7.0, but packages exist only for 3.16.0 and
4.9.0, so I guess 4.7.0 was installed "manually", do you know about
that ? Should I attempt a kernel upgrade ?