[SAC] [Hosting] mysql1-vip (mysql1/mysql2) 5.5 -> 5.6 Upgrade | April 20th, 2022 17-20 UTC

Ethan Hampton hamptone at osuosl.org
Wed Apr 13 13:53:24 PDT 2022

All,

We will be upgrading one of our MySQL clusters (mysql1-vip
(mysql1/mysql2)) next Wednesday, April 20th, 2022 between 17:00-20:00
UTC (10am-1pm PDT).

We are upgrading MySQL (Percona) from 5.5 to 5.6. This is the first step
towards managing the cluster under Chef and upgrading to
MySQL(Percona)5.7 at a future date. Expect more maintenance on this
cluster in the near future.

This will result in up to 20 minutes of downtime in the middle of the
window as we fail-over the cluster. We estimate that the actual downtime
will be far less than that bound.

We have tested this upgrade in a separate environment and believe that
it will have minimal impact to projects on the cluster. We will make a
full backup of the cluster before the upgrade work begins.

*If you are using the vip1 cluster, please make sure you are using the
mysql1-vip.osuosl.org address instead of mysql1/2.osuosl.org directly or
additional outages will occur.*

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. We'll be in
#osuosl on Libera Chat in case any one needs to contact us directly.

Thanks!

--
Ethan Hampton
Student Systems Engineer