System Administration Budget Plans

Vicky Vergara vicky at erosion.dev
Fri Dec 1 13:21:19 PST 2023

Hi all,

Thoughts at the end.

On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> So 2024 is around the corner and we need to come up with a budget.
>
> Our 2023 budget looked like this
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2023
>
> I think most can stay the same.
> Two things I'd like to see upped are:
>
> 1) Hosting (in form of donation) for OSUOSL should go up 500 to $6500 to
> account for inflation and  because they have been great and it's still way
> way cheaper than same deal we can get from any other hoster.
> 2) Sysadmin contract.  I'd like to up that 6 contracts and increase the
> amount $7000 per contract (again inflation) (still recommend 50 hrs)
>
> The reason is well for me I always run out of funds at the end, as I have
> already pretty much exhausted my existing contract.
> We are also doing major cleanup with our ansible setup to make our infra
> more straightforward and easier to manage in the future.

I've been doing this, and have more than 20 hours on this task.

Also next year there will be some major work going on with osgeo6 and mail
> servers.  OSGeo6 (aka our list serve / mail server) needs an upgrade and
> possibly a complete redo.  People also want to have real mailboxes to send
> osgeo corporate mail and receive, which adds quite a bit of overhead.
> There is also great demand from the community to integrate discourse for
> better communication with the public.
>
> We might want to separate that out, but not sure.  Part of me feels it
> should just be part of a contract and that alone can easily take up 150
> hrs.

I wonder if there could be some kind of specialized contract. For example:
MAIL contract hours available 150 hrs.
- Mail, lists, mailbox servers upgrade/installation
- Independent of a person - OSGeo contract relationship.
- Teams of members can participate together.
If a person has a contract, and is putting hours to the MAIL, it goes to
those hours available.
At the end of all the work the hours are summarized by person and payment
done accordingly.