PSC Vote: Let's move this list to discourse

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Jan 5 08:43:17 PST 2024

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 03:10:48PM -0000, Martin Spott wrote:

>   https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/-/issues/132#note_21045322
>
> Don't get me wrong, this is not a vote in favour of retiring this list for
> Discourse. I would just like to remind you how long it took to free the Wiki
> from its standalone authentication.

This is an important concern of mine too, enough that I've asked a few
times already (but only in chat) to disable the "github login" that's
currently enabled in Discourse. The reason why people want to keep that is to
reduce friction of entry and it's usually mentioned as the reason that
"you didn't need a LDAP account to subscribe to mailing lists" which
is why I asked  here about using Mailman auth for Discourse.

At this stage of things I'm perfectly happy with:

  1. Disable non-LDAP login in Discourse (it's experimental, supposedly)
  2. Enable LDAP login in Mailman3, if we install it

The way I think we should deal with "easy of access" is reducing the
friction required to get a LDAP account, and make a LDAP account not
enough to grant too many permissions over too many services.