[Scotland] local GRASS / R / QGIS help?

James Reid james.reid at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:42:09 EDT 2010

AFAIK theres a R users group in the university (sort of) - certainly
theres IT support for it see
https://www.wiki.ed.ac.uk/display/AshworthBioinformatics/Ashworth+R+Resources

GRASS and QGIS - no, thats precisely what is needed - its a case at the
minute of RTFM :-)

On 30/06/10 13:39, Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I'm serving as occasional advisor to a couple of Masters in GIS students
> at GeoSciences in Edinburgh. One of them is getting into some deep
> statistical analysis of population patterns near transport networks at
> the time of the dismantling of the old tram systems.
> Super diligent and her work is now going way over my head.
>
> She's now running into problems with proprietary analysis packages,
> where IS is unwilling to buy plugins or unable to offer support.
>
> Questions -
>
> 1) is there anyone around who would be prepared to sit down with Angela
> for a couple of hours and get her started with R/GRASS/QGIS?
>
> 2) is anyone thinking about offering a more formal course in the above -
> i bet there would be quite a few takers within MSc GIS and beyond.
>
> Ian - is it Ian? From Heriot-Watt - sorry we didnt get to talk more at
> OSGIS - what are your plans for an Open Source GIS course? :)
>
> cheers,
>

> jo

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.