[SeasonOfDocs] Email list research

Sanket Totewar sanket at totewar.com
Tue Aug 13 13:29:43 PDT 2019

Sorry guys for the delay in reply.

I have some interesting perspective from some peeps who've used Gmail lists
and GitHub discussions.

Can't share their names but they have all used private repos (no public
ones) and have had GitHub organizations with teams in them.

P1: GitHub discussions can go too deep if your team is spread across the
world so we started using them but moved to slack and then only added
decisions as meeting notes in Confluence.

P2: I've tried using them but didn't like the style as it does not feel
real-time. So we have calls instead.

P3: GitHub discussions might be great for open source projects but were not
relevant to ours as we had private meetings.

P4: Emails are the best as it is so easy to search through them but of
course you need to know what you are searching for. Google does a great job
here.

P5: I've not seen any open source project use GitHub team discussions.

P6: Love GitHub Discussions. They are very helpful for international teams.

P7: GitHub discussions allow inline commenting and give easy access to
links in GitHub PRs in addition to the comments inside PRs, they form a
good package.