[SeasonOfDocs] Email list research

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 04:07:31 PDT 2019

Ok, I just had a play around with a GitHub teams discussion page, which
Felicity set up and Jo and I have been added to:

https://github.com/orgs/thegooddocsproject/teams/website

Some major concerns I have with it are:

* I can delete a message I add to a discussion.

* It appears I can also delete someone else's message if I had a
personal gripe with them (probably because I have admin access). (The
delete button is there, I didn't test it). This creates a fundamental
problem for retaining archives.

* It appears I can only contribute to conversations if I have a github
username (and possibly only if I am a member of the group). Can someone
other than Jo/Felicity/me contribute to the conversation? This is not
going to work as a community support email list.

I find these two issues significant and are probably show stoppers for
selecting GitHub Team Discussions to replace an email list.

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254