[SeasonOfDocs] Geonetwork meeting summary: 22 Aug 2019

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 09:13:42 PDT 2019

Hi All

Just a quick summary of the call we had today to discuss the GeoNetwork
work as part of Season of Docs.

Firstly it was lovely to welcome Swapnil to the call, and to get an idea of
his background and how he hopes to contribute to the project. Swapnil- it's
great to have you on board- I think your experience will be really helpful
to us.

Swapnil has been starting to familiarise himself with GeoNetwork, and is
going to continue doing that over the next couple of weeks (with FOSS4G
next week there's not going to be much happening on the project). He's also
going to work through Byron's spreadsheet of the documentation sections.

Action: Swapnil to familiarise himself with GeoNetwork and hopefully work
through spreadsheet

We discussed the issue of where to actually go for help now- as the
GeoNetwork project has progressed a lot over the last few years, and it's
not always clear where the best place to get information is.  We need to
also take into account the interplay of standards and software, in other
words linking between the metadata101 project (for standards) and
GeoNetwork, understanding where documentation should go, and how to make it
clear which versions of the standards plugins go with which version of
GeoNetwork, or are ready for real-life use.

Action: Nothing specific- but it's something we need to discuss further

Cameron outline the idea of a maturity model for the documentation, which
could in the the first instance be added to Byron's spreadsheet, but later
could be made open to end-users to encourage fixes.

Action: Nothing specific, but again something to discuss further

Paul outlined that he is liaising with the rest of the development team and
keeping them up to date with the project. He has been discussing
documentation with clients/customers too, as have I (Jo). This is a good
way to find out about areas that need improvement.

Next week is FOSS4G, so our next call will be in two week's time (
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190905T0900 for
date and time).

All the best

Jo