[SeasonOfDocs] A few things this week

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 14:23:30 PDT 2019

Reporting on a few things this week and some ideas to move toward:

* Felicity, Brian and Byron have joined us. Welcome.

* Andrew has been looking into Getting Started with QGIS. Has worked out
an approach with Jared. Andrew, I suggest sending a recap of your plan,
and how people can review your material.

* Jo has found people to help with GeoNetwork docs. Great, I suggest
inviting them to introduce themselves to this list and add their names
to https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#Interested.3F
so we can find each other, and demonstrate the momentum we are
collecting to potential collaborators.

* Jo, as we discussed, I think we have sufficient momentum to kickoff a
GeoNetwork docs kickoff meeting. As you probably know most of the people
involved, would you mind setting it up, starting with a separate email
thread to see who would like to join and what timezones they are in?

* Liam, Belinda, Felicity have been having a crack at starting
OSGeoLive/QGIS docs. I'm thinking it might be useful to set up a meeting
next week to see what hurdles you are tripping over and see if we can
collectively help with that.

* I've been looking around for best practices in writing tech/open
source docs, and while I've found lots of individual suggestions, there
doesn't seem to be a central guide that is collaboratively maintained
and can be referenced. I think we are going to need to set this up as a
stand-alone open source project in its own right. I'm going to research
more about this over the next few weeks.

* In the next couple of weeks we should restart the conversation around
building tutorial material (a couple of people are back from other
commitments).

* While we have attracted lots of volunteers, (thanks to all of you), we
haven't had many experienced SeasonOfDocs writers reach out to us yet.
Jo and I had a chat about this, and plan to reach out to the tech
writing community and see if we can stir up some interest.

So have a think about what you might want to get involved in, maybe
mention it here, or come along to online meetings which we should be
kicking off soon.

Cheers,

--
Cameron Shorter