[SeasonOfDocs] The Good Docs Project - next steps

Felicity Brand felicitybrand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:57:02 PDT 2019

In the interest of starting discussions, here goes:

I think articulating the goal is really important, as is defining our
audience. This is going to drive everything.

I've briefly reviewed the excellent resources that already exist that
people are pointing us to and my first reaction is that:

   - We should start with the assumption that good docs are good. We don't
   need to bend over backwards articulating why.
   - We don't need to train people *how* to write good docs.
   - We just provide really excellent templates and guidance on how to
   apply them.

That is going to be the most useful and the TL;DR option for folks who have
a messy open source project and want to bring it up to scratch. They're
already motivated to improve their docs.

We could point people to other resources if they want to dive deeper into
the whys and hows.

Things like clarity, consistency, etc (the 5 C's) is something that most
good tech writers know, so why do we need to articulate this again? Are we
teaching folk to write? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day but
teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Are we teaching people
to fish? I wouldn't have thought so... I think we're just giving people
fish templates. OR, to strangle the metaphor further, giving people a baited
 line in a barrel full of fish. So they are far more likely to succeed
without having to learn to fish in the first place.

So that's my first reaction. Happy to discuss further and I can't wait to
see what everyone else thinks!

Cheers

Felicity