[SeasonOfDocs] GeoNetwork setup on windows - chat notes

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:42:10 PST 2020

Swapnil,

As per chat just now:

Re setting up on windows (and writing instructions):

* Let's *not* go down the path of setting up a virtual machine and
OSGeoLive (at least not yet). If you were to go down that path later,
the page to start with would be:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/virtualization_quickstart.html

* Instead I suggest installing java 8 on windows, then tomcat (or jetty,
I'm not sure which is better), then the geonetwork.war file. Hopefully
one of the geonetwork experts watching this thread will add comment - my
experience is about 10 years old here and shouldn't be trusted.

* Good to hear that you have been going through Byron's spreadsheet of
docs and cateogising them according to doc type.

* I suggest also start gauging effort and what should be done to the
docs, so we can get a feel for what is required. Maybe collect this in a
"Comments" column in the spreadsheet or similar?

* At the end of your project, I think we should give the GeoNetwork
community an assessment of the quality of their docs, accompanied by a
recommended list of actions which should be implemented, a possible plan
for implementing, and an indication of the level of effort required.
This should help steer future documentation direction.

* Also at the end, we should provide feedback to the documentation
community, and Google, about the process that should be followed in
improving open-source documentation. I think the doc audit you are doing
at the moment is a really important part of this, and we should capture
lessons learned as we go. (I'm currently sketching this into a doc for
TheGoodDocsProject at the moment).

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter