[SoC] Windup, and Mentor Summit, Mentor Payments

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 31 20:04:36 EDT 2007

Folks,

We have had a successful program this summer, and all our surveys are in
on time.  Only one student failed - he seemed to disappear after the midterm
survey.  I'm very pleased with the work on GDAL that I am directly familiar
with.

Mentor Summit
-------------

Google has indicated that OSGeo is welcome to send up to three delegates
to the Summer of Code Mentor Conference October 6th.  Google is reembursing
reasonable travel expenses (upto $500 within US, $1200 from outside) and
providing a hotel for one night.

If anyone is potentially interested, let me know and I can provide some
details.

Mentor Payments

The program includes a $500USD payment for each mentor.  These payments are
made to the mentor organization (OSGeo).  It isn't clear to me what we are
going to do with this money.  Should OSGeo try and distribute it to all the
mentors?  Should we consider it a "contribution to OSGeo"?  Should we make
it optional for the mentor?

I'd appreciate thoughts on this.  I will say that from an administrative
point of view it would be most convenient to just leave the money with
OSGeo. :-)

Best regards,