[SoC] Communicating with potential students

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Mar 21 18:00:06 EDT 2007

On the subject of fairness. Do you people think that we should discuss
the applications with the students, and give feedback? I remember back
in 2004? 2005? When I applied to the SoC I didn't get any feedback and
that was just plain annoying :( But does it give an unfair advantage if
we coach the would be students at the application level? Take the newest
GRASS application (Shortest path in free (vector) space avoiding
obstacles module in GRASS), he talks about a O(n^3) algorithm... Which
is worse then bad. Should I let him know what I think, and that I'd
probably not accept an O(n^3) algorithm, when better ones are available
(in this case the rotational sweep)? How much communication do you think
is suitable? My personal feeling is that we should probably talk to the
students as much as we can to help them hone their application, in order
to get the best possible deliverable out of this.

Sorry to take up so much of everybody's time and band with, but I just
want to do this right.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>