[SoC] Re: OSGeo Google Summer of Code

Cory Horner chorner at refractions.net
Wed Mar 28 12:52:47 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
>> I haven't received any response to my inquiry about mentors for the
>> PostGIS projects. Perhaps I was a little to obnoxious?

I think they just went directly into the scoring app and did their thing.

I could prod a couple PostGIS people here to get their mentorship
applications in.

> Well, I am still unclear on how the project selection process works.   Do
> we need to "mod" all the projects into our order of preference and then
> google auto-selects based on that?  Or do we take some concrete action
> for selection

Last year it was based on score, so we ended up with our top 3 which was
not what we wanted.  For our safety we should probably fix the scores to
what we collectively want.

> I feel that the current ranks don't reflect what I would consider the
> proper priority list.  Partly because I think we should be aiming for
> each participating project with a credible application getting one.
> The current rankings boost some projects with very active modding mentors
> to a dominant position.

> If it will be based on the scores on the application list, then I think we
> need to have a meeting to prioritize and then re-score to put things in the
> desired order.

Agreed... i am NOT a fan of the people who showed up and added a bunch
of +4 votes just to get their favourite proposal to the top.  I propose
the following:

1) we sort out which applications belong to which projects (this is
simple in most cases, but some applications are multi-project)

2) each project ranks their proposals independently

3) we all meet and decide which projects get the slots depending on how
many slots we get.  ie slot #1 goes to GRASS, slot #2 to GDAL, etc...

We can then score the projects based on these...

Cory.