[SoC] Re: OSGeo Google Summer of Code

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 15:49:52 EDT 2007

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Adjusted the page a bit ... you seem to have misplaced GeoServer :-)
>
> JTileCache was actually for GeoServer, the caching data in uDig seems
> mostly to be GeoTools work etc ... reworked it into a table.

Jody,

Chris mentioned this and I asked him to fix it in the wiki.  If he didn't
and you did, then thanks.

>> Cory Horner wrote:
>>> Last year it was based on score, so we ended up with our top 3 which
>>> was not what we wanted.  For our safety we should probably fix the
>>> scores to what we collectively want.
> I am also not sure we could adjust are score once given.

I have just confirmed that we can just add additional scores to adjust
things up or down as needed.

> Keep the table I just made in mind, some proposal benifit several
> projects (like say the PostGIS or GeoTools proposals - do we wish to
> take that into account?)

On actually reviewing the table, I think it substantially complicates
something that was structurally simple, even if we were missing some
subtle aspects of relationships.

I'm happy for uDig, GeoServer and GeoTools to come up with their rankings
by any means that has the support of the 3 PSCs.  There will be
essentially six "vertical slices" in the rankings for the six projects
(grass, gdal, postgis, udig, geoserver and geotools).  We have yet to
establish the final ranking of those vertical slices.  I was prioritizing
them on the basis of candidate applications.  Reviewing the current lists
(with some ambiguity with regard to java projects) I'd assume the priority
to be:

Slice 1: GRASS (5 projects)
Slice 2: GDAL (5 projects)
Slice 3: GeoTools (4 projects)
Slice 4: uDig (2 projects)
Slice 5: PostGIS (2 projects)
Slice 6: GeoServer (1 project)

If we were to get 12 projects this would mean top 3 for grass, top 2 for
gdal,geotools, udig, and postgis, and geoserver getting it's one project.

> We will bring it up next meeting - I think the final deadline is April 6th?

My understanding is that Google announces final decisions on the 11th.
I was hoping to have all rankings back by the 9th so I could get the
list reordered shortly by no later than the morning of the 10th.

If you know of a deadline on the 6th please point it out to me!  Some
aspects of the google process are mysterious to me, and I am living in
constant fear of missing some deadline or other and our effort, and a
number of student summers getting unnecessarily messed up because of it.

Incidentally, next year I'd be tempted to only allow OSGeo projects to
be involved under OSGeo's banner.  It adds substantial extra complexity and
risk (in my mind) for OSGeo to be covering for outside projects.  Of course,
uDig or GeoServer related work could likely be done under the GeoTools banner
if GeoTools was happy with that, and/or other organizations could apply for
non-OSGeo projects.  But this is a discussion for another day.

Best regards,