[SoC] Re: OSGeo Google Summer of Code

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Mar 30 15:59:38 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Adjusted the page a bit ... you seem to have misplaced GeoServer :-)
>>
>> JTileCache was actually for GeoServer, the caching data in uDig seems
>> mostly to be GeoTools work etc ... reworked it into a table.
>
> Jody,
>
> Chris mentioned this and I asked him to fix it in the wiki.  If he didn't
> and you did, then thanks.
Exactly right.  I apologize, have been under a pile of work, it was on
my todo list.  Thanks Jody.

>> I am also not sure we could adjust are score once given.
>
> I have just confirmed that we can just add additional scores to adjust
> things up or down as needed.
>
>> Keep the table I just made in mind, some proposal benifit several
>> projects (like say the PostGIS or GeoTools proposals - do we wish to
>> take that into account?)
>
> On actually reviewing the table, I think it substantially complicates
> something that was structurally simple, even if we were missing some
> subtle aspects of relationships.
>
> I'm happy for uDig, GeoServer and GeoTools to come up with their rankings
> by any means that has the support of the 3 PSCs.  There will be
> essentially six "vertical slices" in the rankings for the six projects
> (grass, gdal, postgis, udig, geoserver and geotools).  We have yet to
> establish the final ranking of those vertical slices.  I was prioritizing
> them on the basis of candidate applications.  Reviewing the current lists
> (with some ambiguity with regard to java projects) I'd assume the priority
> to be:
>
> Slice 1: GRASS (5 projects)
> Slice 2: GDAL (5 projects)
> Slice 3: GeoTools (4 projects)
> Slice 4: uDig (2 projects)
> Slice 5: PostGIS (2 projects)
> Slice 6: GeoServer (1 project)
>
> If we were to get 12 projects this would mean top 3 for grass, top 2 for
> gdal,geotools, udig, and postgis, and geoserver getting it's one project.

There's one more for GeoServer.  I added it to the rankings page.
Andrea Aime is willing to be mentor for it

One thing I still don't understand on the application list page is the
purple ones vs. the light blue ones.  Is it the ones that have mentors
who have volunteered?

Chris

--
Chris Holmes