[SoC] Mentorship Limits

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 16:46:41 EDT 2007

Folks,

What do folks think about the number of projects a person can mentor?  It
is my feeling that *normally* a person should only mentor one project to
avoid the students not getting enough attention from mentors with too much
on the go.  But I don't feel this needs to be a hard and fast rule.

Looking at the tentative assignments I see Wolf five projects.  Are there
enough GRASS mentors to handle some of these?

I also see Tim Keitt with two postgis projects.  Are there other postgis
mentors?  I know of Mateusz, but he already has a GDAL project, and didn't
feel up to some of the more esoteric postgis stuff.

I am listed with 3, but one is being turned over to Daniel, and one will be
dropped.

Ian and Simone also have two, but there seem to be lost of java mentors to
spread these out a bit.

I'm inclined to leave the final decision on mentors taking on multiple students
to the project PSCs.  But do think that five is too many unless Wolf is
prepared to spend his summer doing little else.

As far as I know we can still add additional mentors, so perhaps there is a
need to beat the bushes for some more GRASS mentors?

Best regards,