[SoC] Google Summer of Code Deadline extended

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 09:32:35 EDT 2008

as this is an announcement not a thread I don't have to apologize for
cross posting ;)
--

Hi,

as you may or may not have heard, OSGeo and its projects (such as GRASS)
have been accepted as a mentor organization for Google's Summer of Code.
The program pays students a US$4500 (or so) stipend to help with open
source coding projects.
  http://www.osgeo.org/node/616
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2008_Ideas

Here's a flyer about it to post in the hallways of your local campus or
to distribute to your students:
  http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/flyer/
   (can someone with access update that with the new dates?)

So far we have gotten lots of interesting applications - the original
deadline was today but they've just extended it by a week. The new
closing date for new student applications is Monday April 7.
see  http://code.google.com/soc/2008

spread the word, we've got a week.

Also, if you're a project developer and would like to help as a mentor,
please contact Wolf & co. on the soc(at)lists.osgeo.org mailing list.
A successful application requires a student matched with a mentor, so
it's no good if we get 50 good applications but only have a handful of
mentors, and so have to forfeit good students and funding.

cheers,
Hamish
(mentor, 2nd class)

ps-
I wonder if there is still room to extend the ideas section, e.g. I would
dearly love to see the OpenEV contrib/ ENC S-52 library for rendering
navigation charts better integrated into OpenEV or added to QGIS. I am
not sure what sub-umbrella that would fall under, or who would want to
take the lead in mentoring that, QGIS or GDAL, or ..?  I have the S-52
lib's demo GTK app running and it looks great. But I digress...
(crap, now it's a thread and I have to apologise for cross-posting; sorry)