[SoC] Slots

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 06:46:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

Hats off again to Wolf, glad we are so well maintained. The extra slots
are a real coup. (How many OSGeo t-shirts did that cost us? ;)

In case anyone forgot to do the math, (if all goes well) that's US$100,000
funding from Google for OSGeo projects this year! Holy cow. ($10k to the
foundation, $90k to students)  Yesterday it was at $45k.

I think it would be a nice idea for all OSGeo mentors to quickly read
through the top 20 :) rated applications and comment as needed. There is
a heck of a lot of overlap between all our projects and even mentors
might not be aware of a community resource that might be useful for
cross-pollination. It is of course most useful to find out that you are
about to reinvent the wheel when you are just starting out, and then can
apply your efforts to improvements instead of basics. The stronger our
projects begin the more successful they will be, and the more slots we
get next year. I found it to be an interesting exercise & read, anyway.
It's good to know what others are doing.

good on ya Wolf,
Hamish

ps - I am curious to know the total number of OSGeo mentors we ended up
with? (vs number of eligible students). Anyone mentoring for more than one
OSGeo project? Similarly it might be nice to put on the wiki page who are
the mentor contacts for each OSGeo project, and the project's license.