[SoC] SoC report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:54:46 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

1. What did I do this week:

- Continued work on OLAP navigation operators (let's call them navops).
I had some feedback from Julian Hyde (lead developer of Mondrian and
olap4j) on the olap4j forums (see
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2081316&forum_id=577988
) and started the implementation of query transformations following his
proposal for an interface. However, most of the needed MDX query
transformations for OLAP navigation operators are very complex to
implement. After discussion with my mentor, I've chosen to write a
limited subset of these, mainly a simple drill by replacement which
handles a single dimension on an axis, and a simple roll-up by level
(also handling a single dim by axis). The interface for generic MDX
query transforms is cleanly defined though, so more complex OLAP
transforms will be added at a later time (maybe after the end of the
GSoC timeframe) and could be integrated to the core GeoBI servlet with
minimal modifications. Since these MDX query transforms could be useful
for a large number OLAP applications based on the olap4j API, I will
contribute the new org.olap4j.transform experimental package to the
olap4j trunk, once I had time to clean and document the code a little
bit ;) .

- Started the needed work to handle these navops in the servlet and web
client (feature selection and click handling with OpenLayers, created a
Dojo toolbar for selecting the navop to apply, added new parameters to
the request passed to the servlet, ...). Basic drill-down functionality
is almost there!

2. What do I plan on doing next week:

- Continue working on navops and their use in the OLAP web mapping
client/servlet.

3. Am I blocked on anything:

- No, I just hopped past quite a major block. There's still a lot of
work to do on OLAP navops and query transforms, but for the moment what
I coded will be sufficient to continue my work on the OLAP web mapping
component.

Have a nice weekend,

Etienne