[SoC] Pencils down, but it's not over yet!

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Aug 18 15:47:18 EDT 2008

Hi!

First and foremost, thank you for making it this far! We have has a good
  summer and very nice projects. I think we should be proud of each and
every one.

Pencils down is now officially in effect; but it's not over yet! First
and most importantly you must submit your surveys in time, this applies
to both mentors and students. You have to the end of the month to submit
your surveys, but please PLEASE make sure you get them done by Thursday
next week (August 28th), since I'll start checking them and will stress
over any surveys that aren't completed by that time.

So what now?
Students:
1) Finish your final survey
2) Stay in contact with your mentor and project, it's fun to be a part
of a community. Maybe you'll want to expand your project or help with
some other parts ;)
3) Write a final report for your project (Did it meet its goals? Are you
planning to continue work on it? etc, see Etienne's email for more
hints). I'm going to use the final reports to make showcases for the
projects at the OSGeo main website (you'll be famous), and as a news
item (you'll be syndicated :P )
4) Start working on a package to deliver to Google, there will be more
information about this later, from Google.
5) Please fill in the OSGeo SoC survey at [1]. The survey can be filled
in anonymously, we're more interested in hones answers than names. The
point is to improve the program for next year.

Mentors:
1) Finish your final survey
2) Stay in contact with your student. Now is the last time to make them
a permanent member of our nice community. Help them out, introduce them
(again even). They have done great work and it would be nice to see them
continue and expand on that work.
3) Encourage your student to write a final report. You could even help
them ;)
4) Please fill in the OSGeo SoC survey at [1]. The survey can be filled
in anonymously, we're more interested in hones answers than names. The
point is to improve the program for next year.

Thank you again, for your work students. You should be proud. I hope to
get many final reports. ;)

Happily,
Wolf Bergenheim,
OSGeo SoC Administrator