[SoC] SoC Report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 15:08:44 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

1. What did I do this week:

- Fixed the display of GeoJSON features in OpenLayers. Turns out that
the GeoJSON response from the server must have the content-type set to
"text/plain", otherwise the response will be an invalid XmlDocument
object that can't be parsed by OpenLayers.Format.GeoJSON (which expects
a plain string).
- More work on the servlet component. The cell values corresponding to
spatial members and member names are now present as attributes in the
returned GeoJSON features.
- I have begun the implementation of thematics. This is handled by the
client (in JavaScript), using OpenLayers.Style objects. For now it is
possible to manually specify classes (intevals) and colors, defined in
an array. I will add support for equal intervals later.
- Had a discussion with my mentor (Thierry Badard), about various topics
such as the way to handle the map display in accordance to the
row/column disposition of the OLAP result set, thematic mapping styles
to be supported (choropleth, proportional symbols and pie charts) and
what data are to be exchanged between the client and server. This
cleared up a few gray areas.

2. What do I plan on doing next week:

- Implement a MDX query control on the client side, in order to submit
custom queries to the servlet (and replace the hard-coded ones).
- Begin adding additional data needed for titles and tabular displays to
the servlet's response (in addition to the GeoJSON features).
- Begin implementing basic Spatial OLAP operators such as drill-down.

3. Am I blocked on anything:

No, everything is going smoothly now and I'm making good progress.
OpenLayers is a joy to work with, kudos to the developers. I can also
say the same about Mondrian and the olap4j API, which is easy to use and
cleanly designed.

Have a nice weekend,

Etienne