[SoC] SoC report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:34:03 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I'm posting my report early this week because I'll be out of town tomorrow.

1. What did I do this week:

- Continued looking at JPivot (JSP-based web OLAP client) to see how it
generates MDX queries according to OLAP operators. It's quite complex,
but I'm getting the hang of it.

- Read a few chapters of "MDX Solutions: With Microsoft SQL Server
Analysis Services" (by Spofford & al., published by Wiley). It is an
interesting book to learn the syntax and do various analyses with MDX,
but it doesn't address the development of an OLAP client and how to
manipulate MDX queries programmatically.

- Experimented with hand-written MDX queries to simulate drill-down and
roll-up functionality and get a better idea on how to generate it.

- Posted on the olap4j forum to give some ideas and try to get feedback
from the developers.

2. What do I plan on doing next week:

- Continue working on OLAP operators.

3. Am I blocked on anything:

- Still working hard on that problem but not really blocked.

Have a nice weekend,

Etienne