[SoC] SoC Report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:16:27 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

1. What did I do this week: started coding for real ;) .

- I implemented a geometry type for member properties in the Mondrian
OLAP server (in our GeoMondrian branch), for now it works with the
PostGIS driver wrapper (converts PGgeometry to JTS Geometry). Same
mechanism could be used with other DBMS (e.g. Oracle Spatial), I could
add it at a later date. I will probably have some modifications to do to
the olap4j API too in order to support geometry objects.

- Took a look at GeoJSON for delivering member's geometries to the
OpenLayers-based client. Downloaded the java impl. from MapFish SVN
repository.

- I also had a discussion with my mentor (Thierry Badard) about what
kind of maps we should support in the client part. For now the goal is
to do choropleth maps (colored polygons) and maybe proportional and pie
chart symbols (using graphical markers in OpenLayers).

2. What do I plan doing next week: continue looking at GeoJSON and begin
coding the Geo-BI server (as a Java servlet).

3. Am I blocked on anything: not for now.

Have a nice weekend,

Etienne