[SoC] Proposal for wxGUI layout modifications

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Apr 14 20:20:25 EDT 2009

Actually, I think what (I hope) was envisioned was not a true MDI--
which has lost considerable popularity--but attaching the layer
manager to the display window. Ideally, this could be done by docking
or undocking.

That said, Markus and I had some offline discussions about this since
he was the proposer, in response to some user comments and his own
experiences. The main complaint is having too many windows open in
GRASS.

After some talking about it, the real problem may not lie primarily
with the layer manager/display windows but with all the module windows
which a lot of people don't realize that you can set to close
automatically when you push OK. Some possible solutions to this would
include having all modules open in a single window with tabs or
modally in a single window or modally in a window attached to the
layer manager to keep down clutter. By focusing a bit much on the
initial display configuration of a couple of other GIS programs
(ArcGIS and QGIS, but not in a lot of others by the way), we may have
missed the real cause of the perceived screen clutter. Anyway, it's
something to think about.

Michael