[SoC] GSoC org application

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Thu Mar 12 17:17:35 EDT 2009

On 12.03.2009 21:33, Markus Neteler wrote:
> A few observations:
>  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Application_2009
>
> * "Additionally we hope to spread the word of open source GIS
>  in the universities. "
> -> too limited? what about PA or companies (think crisis)

Hmm interesting point, but how do we use GSoC to do that? Tell our
colleagues at work?

> * What is the main public mailing list for your group? (required)
> * Where is the main IRC channel for your group? (required)
> -> both have a link as answer?

Well yes, the form has only a single line where you can write an IRC
channel or something short. So these links take you to a page where the
IRC channels applicable for GSoC. Should the URLs be to some other page
instead?

> * "What criteria do you use to select the members of your group"
>  "..We also try and match up up a student working on raster..."
>  -> somehow doesn't fit IMHO - why focus on raster?

As an example... Yes it needs to be reformulated.

> * "What license does your organization use?"
>  -> GPL should be GPL >=2
>  -> also other licenses are used MIT/X11 etc.

This time the form is really bad for us, since it has a drop-down list
of licenses. I asked Google, and they said, pick the one that is most
common.

> * "What is the main development mailing list for your group?"
> -> URL points to public (maybe add a line of explanation?)

Same reason as above

> * "What is your plan for dealing with disappearing members"
> -> maybe mention that we have 14000 list members in all OSGeo
>    lists which indicated a good pool of people?

:D

> * "Please select your backup group administrator."
> -> yet empty - what is that job?

I have Landon and Hamish volunteering as backup admins. It means to
replace me should I be away or get hit by a car etc.

Landon and Hamish, please give me your melange IDs once you have signed
up. The url to Menlange is http://socghop.appspot.com/

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>