[SoC] Personnal info in application form

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Apr 5 14:41:13 EDT 2010

Jean-Denis,

This sounds like a fair question, but would probably be better addressed
on Google's SoC list since OSGeo has no control over the SoC tools
provided by Google. Did you try sending the question on Google's list?
(I think we'd all be interested in what their response is)

Daniel

Jean-Denis Giguere wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Student proposals are hosted on the Google Open source Programs
> Application Server at http://socghop.appspot.com/ .
>
> When students (like me :-) ) submit a proposal, they could make it
> publicly available. I think it is a good thing to make the application
> publicly available for different philosophical and pratical reasons.
> Publicly available poposals are more likely to be read. They are
> avaiable for people interesting by the project without being involve
> as mentor.
>
> The osgeo application form require student phone number. If the
> application form is public, this information is public. I'm not sure
> that giving my private phone number on a publicly available site is a
> very good privacy practice... ;-)
>

> Do I see privacy concerns where they don't exist?
>
> Could we consider another way to give this information to the osgeo?
>

> Regards,
>

> Jean-Denis :-)

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/