[SoC] Neo4j in uDIG and GeoServer

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Wed Apr 7 11:48:21 EDT 2010

Craig Taverner ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in discussions with a couple of students interested in the
> uDIG-Geotools-Neo4j integration project, and one of them is much more of
> a GeoServer/Geotools developer and therefore interested in applying for
> a project on that stack. I personally would love to see both stacks
> developed (both uDIG and GeoServer), and so I'm fully in support of
> student applications for this, and am willing to mentor both.
>
> However, I have no experience with GeoServer, and my Geotools experience
> comes exclusively through my uDIG experience, which is why I originally
> proposed only the uDIG stack for GSoC. The student in question is less
> concerned about this, since he has Geoserver experience and is relying
> primarily on my Neo4j expertise and general GIS experience for mentoring
> him.
>
> I would like to know what the OSGeo position is on this. Can I mentor
> the GeoServer-Neo4j project, or should there be another mentor assigned,
> or should there be a co-mentor assigned?

Datastores in GeoServer don't usually require special handling,
though of course the GeoServer code might exercise them in way that
makes them break (but that's "just" debugging).

I don't really think you need a custom mentor on the GeoServer side,
especially if the students actively seeks help on the GeoTools/GeoServer
mailing lists. I think both will try to provide help as time allows.

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime