[SoC] Fwd: Midterm Evaluations Next Week

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Mon Jul 5 16:08:59 EDT 2010

Heads up everyone!

Next week between Monday the 12th and Friday the 16th 1900 UTC you
shall submit your mid-term evaluations.  If you miss your deadline it
means you are out. So I hope for your sake you will make it on time.
;) This is also true for mentors. If the mentors don't submit the
mid-term evaluations on time, it means that the student is out. I will
fill in any pending mentor mid-term evaluations, however: unless other
arrangements have been made I WILL file a FAILing report. I realize
that this seems awfully harsh, but it is meant to be a wakeup call!

I've waited patiently the last three weeks to see if the weekly
reports would start coming in on time, meaning that you are getting
used to the idea, but the opposite seems to be true. Last week for
instance only HALF of you sent in a report at all, and NONE on time!
This cannot go on. Reading your reports it seems that you think that
you should hold off writing the weekly report until you have completed
a feature. Well, that is WRONG! Zero points and an F for that thought.
The whole point is to get sort of a timed snapshot of what is going on
with your projects. It's not a snapshot if we wait for feature
completeness. So please don't do anything before you have fired off
that report. I expect to see a whole lot of: I did this and that, now
working on this and plan to start working on that after I finish this.
Ok? That way we get a more active dynamic picture on what you are
doing and since the reports always come at the same time we can much
more easily see if you are struggling, and help out. THAT is the whole
point of the weekly reports.

Any questions?

Remember to fill in those mid-term evaluations by 19:00 UTC on July
16th. Here is a handy countdown timer:
http://timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=16&month=7&year=2010&hour=19&min=00&sec=00&p0=0

Read below for instructions. If you have any problems or questions, please ask!

Regards,
Wolf Bergenheim
OSGeo GSoC 2010 Administrator