[SoC] Fwd: Help on Routing plugin for Open Jump.

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 13:03:06 EDT 2010

Jatin,

In my experience, the less you bite off for a SoC project, the better.
I think adding full-fledged routing capabilites to OpenJUMP over one
summer would be a daunting task.

Instead, I recommend you think about the fundamental tasks a good
routing application has to perform. Here are a few examples:

- Identify topology problems with inpit geometry when creating a network.
- Identify sources, sinks, and directions between them in a network.
- Calculate the shortest route between two points on a network.
- Calculate the "travel expense" as one moves along a route in a network.

I think writing one or two plug-ins for OpenJUMP that handled any of
the above tasks would be a benefit, and would allow for a more modest
and realistic workload.

Landon