[SoC] Fwd: Google Summer of Code starting!

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sat May 22 18:32:56 EDT 2010

Hello all students and mentors!

I'm excited to remind you of the upcoming official start of the Summer
of Code 2010! It starts on Monday.

At this stage I hope all students have bonded with their projects and
have had contact with their mentors. On Monday you are expected to
start working on the project. Hopefully you have made a project plan
and a more detailed schedule for the summer. The ones in your
proposals are a good guideline. As a first task to all students I'd
like you to start thinking of the first week, and think what you
intend to achieve. Make a day-by-day plan for the first week, and try
to stick to it. If you are having problems now it's ok, and well kind
of expected. It's not an easy field you have chosen ;) As a second
task I'd like you all to present your projects in the first weekly
report. Hopefully you have set up a wiki page already for your
project, and if not, do it ASAP. As your mentor for help on where to
set it up. You can always use the OSGeo wiki if your project doesn't
have any.

Remember, you are expected to send a weekly report, this year it will
be every Monday, the first thing you do every Monday, before you start
working. The three questions we want you to answer are:
1) What did I do last week
2) What do I plan to do this week
3) Do I have any problems/obstacle which interfere with my work

First and foremost we expect you to be honest, and upfront about
everything, especially if you have any obstacles. One of the most
important task of your mentor is to help you overcome your problems. I
do realize that sometimes life happens, but the key is open
communication. If you are open with us and tell us what is going on we
can work on your project plan and adjust it accordingly.

Okay now that I have said that I'd like to congratulate you students
again for making the cut (the toughest one ever for OSGeo), and wish
you a fun and productive summer.
Additionally I'd like to invite you all to our IRC channel #osgeo on
irc.freenode.net [1], to hang out and chat about your experience. You
can find me as _wolf_.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IRC

Best regards,
Wolf Bergenheim