[SoC] GSoC weekly report 12 (Astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks)

Yiwei Zhang zhangyiwei79 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:14:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

This week I begin to implement the image registration function for
astronomical images.

Images taken at different times may have relative translation and
rotations. For astronomical images, stars are ideal reference points for
images, because they are both plentiful and fixed in space. Stars are easily
to be automatically located in the image. Also, even with translations and
rotations, the relative distance between two stars shall remain the same.

Based on the above reason, my image registration algorithm is as follows:

First, we search and locate the appropriate stars in the master image. Then
for each located star, we calculate and record the distances between current
star an all the other located stars. Let Dij denotes the distance between
star i and j in the master image. Then we do the same operation on the slave
image. Let Sij denotes the distance between star i and j in the slave image.

Then we shall perform a matching between the located stars in the master
image and stars in the slave image based on the relative distances between
the star and other stars.

Next week I will finish the implementation of image registration. I shall
calculate the rotation and translation parameters based on the matching
stars and align the two images together.

Detailed report can be found here:
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~yiwei/Status+Report+for+Week+12%2C+GSoC+2011