[SoC] SAGA Interface for QGIS - Midterm report

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:44:04 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

This week+, I polished different parts of the module dialog, adding
specific widgets & callbacks (signals) for actions & value changes,
including, e.g. a "FileSelector" widget for paths, and a combobox for
available layers or module specific choices. See screenshot [1].

This will allow the modules to change the available parameters (and
their presentation to the user) in reaction to value changes.

Also, the module instance's state (stopped, running, paused, etc.)
mechanism was implemented on the processing side. This is yet
invisible, because I haven't interfaced it to SAGA (see
`moduleinstance.py`).

This being the last week of the first term, I also tried to look ahead
a little to what expects us during the next few weeks, which are the
most important things that are missing and how to implement them. With
the help from other developers through the mailing list, I compiled a
list thereof [2]. In summary, due during the next term, in my opinion,
are:

  * Data exchange (passing vector & raster data from QGIS to the
implementation, will be done with ogr/gdal), starting now.
  * Multiple value parameters
  * Logging & progress report
  * Module instance serialization (storing "presets" of module
values), also as intermediate step to accessing the moduleinstance
from a cleaner python API.
  * Better code documentation & unit tests.

I hope to also squeeze in some other minor parts (GUI things and such).

In conclusion, I think this has been a productive week and a very fun
first term. I am grateful for all the friendly (and insightful)
comments & criticism I have received. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Camilo

[1] https://github.com/polymeris/qgis/wiki/Reports
[2] https://github.com/polymeris/qgis/wiki/Timeline