[SoC] GSoC Weekly report 4 (astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks)

Yiwei Zhang zhangyiwei79 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:16:20 EDT 2011

Hi, all

I am working on astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks.

This week I finish the implementation of Gaussian histogram shaping function
for image enhancement.

I modify the original code to set the maximum gray scale value according to
the image encoding type. And I add the function to calculate the peak value
(the peak of Gaussian function) according to the histogram of the image. The
gray scale value that has the most number of pixels is considered the peak
of Gaussian function. Also I fixed some bugs in array index of the original
code
I add a dialog for user to modify the peak value and sigma spread that are
the basic parameters of the Gaussian function. The user can modify the peak
value so as to change the gray scale value of the entire image. For example,
increase the peak value usually let the background of the deep sky becomes
brighter. The user can also modify the sigma spread value. The larger the
value, the smother the histogram function which means the contrast of the
objects and the background would becomes larger.

The details of the report can be found at:
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~yiwei/Status+Report+for+Week+4%2C+GSoC+2011

Next week I will begin to implement the local adaptive sharpening method for
image enhancement