[SoC] Multi-modal public transit routing for pgRouting

Kishore Kumar justjkk at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:28:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am J Kishore kumar. My GSoC project aims to add public transport routing
functionality to the pgRouting library. All project related documents are
linked and managed through this wiki page[1]. Following is the first week
report of this project.

Things done before first week(till May 23rd):
* Discussed with pgRouting developers regarding the feasibility of the
project and algorithms.
* Implemented unit testing infrastructure[2] for testing the existing code
base.
* Created a small flask application[3] that uses pgRouting library and draws
routes on a Openlayers map.
* Started creating GTFS data for Chennai Railway network[4] to use it in
writing test cases for this transit library.

Things done in the first week:
* Added more trips and stop schedules that are converted from pdf documents
released by railway authorities to [4].
* Started with actual transit module code[5] and debugging.
* Adding more route's trips to [4](yet to commit).

Things to finish by next week:
* Discuss with mentor and finalise database topology(current topology is a
subset of GTFS without support for fare).
* Write tests for single modal transit route functions(thus deciding what
are the input and output parameters).

Roadblocks:
* Debugging c code written for postgresql functions is very hard. Should
learn debugging techniques from project developers.
* Marriage function in family has diverted me from spending more time. Will
become better in a week.

Thanks,
J Kishore kumar.
http://twitter.com/justjkk