[SoC] Distance Analysis for PostGIS Raster - Report Week 2 (Qing Liu)

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Mon Jun 4 07:41:32 PDT 2012

Qing,

I would like you to present yourself and your project on postgis-devel. More people will certainly have something to say.

I really think we want to avoid having to produce an intermediate raster of sources. PostGIS is strong on raster/vector interaction and I really don't see why someone would prefer to provide sources as raster. The sources should come from a table of point. Now this raise a certain number of issues:

  -What if the table contains more than one point?
  -What if some of those points are outside the raster extent?
  -Another issue is: What if the raster I want to produce does not fit into the PostgreSQL maximum field size?

These are the kind or difficulties one encounters when working in a database.

Think about large tiled coverage, Delaunay triangulation,  aggregate functions and all the combinatory of "small/very large number of point" and "small/very large raster coverage". Ideally we want to provide a solution working for every limit cases.

Good reports BTW.

Pierre