[SoC] QGIS & GRASS + Inkscape (cartography)

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 19 14:15:48 EDT 2012

In general, I think that this would be a _very_ worthwhile
project. No GIS has layout capabilities that are as
flexible as Inkscape's (and no GIS should strive to have
them). And it has been my personal experience that
people working in desktop publishing seem unhappy
about the default output of any GIS and spend considerable
time re-working and tuning it. So why not do the map
layout straight in Inkscape, leveraging all of the
power and flexibility it provides?

However, I would argue that a GIS-agnostic approach
would be more useful in this case. Why not build
on GDAL/OGR as data providers? This way, all users of
FOSS GIS would benefit equally from the results.

Also, it seems to me that this would mean having to
implement quite a number of tools on the Inkscape side:
viewports (with map projections!) for Shapefiles and
GeoTIFFs (at least), map legends and decorations,
scale bars, ...

Is one GSoC enough to create all of this?

Best,

Ben