[SoC] Weekly report #4 - GRASS Interactive Scatter Plot Tool

Štěpán Turek stepan.turek at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 12 09:33:32 PDT 2013

Hello all,

1) What do I have completed this week?
During the weekend I discussed the my raster library issue with GRASS GIS community. In this discussion Soren and Pietro made great point, that the problem can be solved elegantly with multiprocessing python module.  During a rest of week I was changing the code to be able work with this multiprocessing module. I was planning also to get rid of r.out.bin, unfortunately because of the blocking issue (see point 3), i did not managed it. At least the backend currently runs in separate process, and wxGUI process is able to pass it all needed data and fetch the results.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
>From tomorrow I am going to take part in GRASS Community Sprint in Prague. I am looking forward to this event. It is ideal opportunity to discuss ideas about project and push the project further.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
Yes, when I started to change code to be able to work with to multiprocessing module, the backend started producing segmentation faults. Today I finally managed to find the cause. It was not fault of the backend, instead of it  python garbage collector had eaten some of ctypes pointers to numpy arrays before they were passed to the backend...

Best
Stepan