[SoC] GSoC'13 OpenTripPlanner-for-Android Weekly Report #1

Vreixo González vreixo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 13:52:33 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm Vreixo González and my GsoC project is "Creating a stable and improved
OpenTripPlanner Android client for walk, bike, and transit routing based on
OpenStreetMap and GTFS data".

All the information about the project will be on the OTP Android client
github's page, on a special section that I need to update:
https://github.com/CUTR-at-USF/OpenTripPlanner-for-Android/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2013

My previous work that I have finished before, on first half of June, was to
develop a GTFS parser for the web page of the local bus company. Parser is
finished and  GTFS files are all created, but I have encountered a problem:
in the webpage there are only departure times and not arrival ones so they
were not present on GTFS, but I have found that arrival times are
absolutely mandatory. So I have requested full timetables to the company
and they have already send them to me this days, but I will need to also
parse them (they are .xls with a strange structure). Also some coordinates
and other data might need some tuning, hence, at the moment I'll use GTFS
data from Portland and I'll finish my work on this later on.
Also I had started to prepare the server to deploy OpenTripPlanner.

*What did I do this week?*

I have finished to prepare environment:

- I have finished to configure server software and I have successfully
deployed webapp and API on this address, with GTFS data from Portland:
http://galadriel.dc.fi.udc.es:8080/opentripplanner-webapp/
http://galadriel.dc.fi.udc.es:8080/opentripplanner-api-webapp/ws (for
queries with mobile app)

-  I have managed to compile and run Android client on my computer and run
it on emulator and on device. There were some problems with Maven
dependencies, android-maven plugins and maven plugins for Eclipse but I
have finally solved and everything is working now.

I have started to work on some bugs/small features:

- I have started to work on provide better feedback from the app to the
user because now is not reporting all the errors to the user. For example I
will display a message when the server is down, because now it tries to get
the route and as server is down nothing is displayed, hence you may think
that there is a problem with the app.

- To move the map when routing because now remains static. Like this if you
perform routing outside the visible map, route is not displayed.

- Start and End markers on map are not working well, it is necessary to
press them twice to fix position.

*What will I be working on next week?*

- I will continue with the bugs and features that I have mentioned, find
and repair more bugs and add some more, little features.

- On further weeks I'll start adding the big functionality changes.

*Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?*

- I had some problems to configure tomcat to run as a standard user and
other server related problems. Also some Maven problems with app building
where difficult to track.

Kind regards,
Vreixo González