[SoC] Java Surface Model Library/API For GeoTools

Julian Padilla padillajulian1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 22:21:02 PDT 2013

As part of this project a Java module will be developed for GeoTools that
will provide a convenient API for the creation and analysis of TIN surface
data. The TIN models will be constructed in memory from input JTS
geometries. Breaklines will be supported. If time allows, basic analysis
such as the definition of watersheds and the creation of hillshades will be
supported.
Hello everyone at Google Summer of Code!

Sorry about such a late email but here is what I've accomplished this past
week:

1.) I've familiarized myself with Java Programming to an extent that will I
be able to take a launch on my coding in the very beginning of next week.
I'm being completely honest here, so please be gentle.
2.) Downloaded Eclispe and its plugins Subeclipse and eGit.
3.) Thoroughly familiarized myself with the GeoTools developer guide and
Java Coding Standards.
4.) Discussed with my mentor the entire process as to which this project
will be completed and have created a schedule as to when I will be writing
my code.

For me, this was my launch pad. Now I'am ready to get going and trust me
the next weeks accomplishments will be far more interesting than these
listed above. This is my first summer being able to be part of GSoC and I
realize that I need to blast off on this project. By the time this summer
of code is over, this project will be up and ready. Thanks everyone and if
anyone could give me some advice as to how to approach coding this summer
I'd really appreciate it.(I'd like feedback from other students rather than
mentors).