[SoC] Newbie, Contribute to OSGeo

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Dec 27 20:48:49 PST 2014

On 12/27/2014 10:23 PM, Neha Pande wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Neha Pande, I am a 3^rd year research student at
> International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (India) in
> the field of spatial informatics. I am interested in contributing to
> Open Source Projects of OSGeo.
>
> My Technical skill-set includes C/C++, Python, Java, Web Technologies
> (HTML, CSS, PHP, web2py, MySQL)
>
> Any pointers on how should I go about it?

Hi Neha,

Typically, the best way to do this is to check out some of the projects
that interest you or where you have same skills and would like to grow
them. Then introduce yourself to that project(s) mailing list. You can
fork or clone most projects in github/svn or whatever they are using.
Learn how to use the project, the email list is a great way to ask
question, may projects have workshops/tutorials/getting started guides,
etc. ask the list if you can't find what you need.

When you are ready look at the issue list or bug tracker and ask on the
dev list if they have suggestion for how to contribute. bug fixes are a
good way to get familiar with the code. Maybe there is a simple feature
that they will suggest that will give you a change to get started.

The hard part is that there is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm sure
people are willing to help you get over that. I think it is important to
pick a project that really interests you because that will benefit both
you and the project in the long term.

Best regards,
   -Stephen Woodbridge