[SoC] Week 11: Web API plugin for QGIS Desktop

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 06:18:14 PDT 2017

Hi Kevin

Il giorno sab 12 ago 2017 alle 18:33 Kevin Stadler <
e0425926 at student.tuwien.ac.at> ha scritto:

> - A very general question that might be of interest to other
> (self-contained) GSoC projects too: what is the recommended open
> source license for the project? The QGIS plugin template that we
> started off with has a reference to GPL-2 in it with the copyright
> retained by the plugin author (rather than passing it on to the Free
> Software Foundation), for the R package we haven't chosen a license
> yet at all. Any input is welcome on this!

Thank you for raising this interesting topic. There is no one-fits-all
answer to this, as mostly depends on the licenses of the libraries /
dependencies used by your plugin and their implications. One resource that
might be useful is:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html
As a general remark, from my experience it's always better to choose among
licenses already formulated rather than creating your special one, unless
you're a specialized lawyer and know what you're doing.

--
Margherita Di Leo