[SoC] QGIS-R map project

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 08:54:26 PST 2017

I'd like to mentor a project to build a slick interface between R and
QGIS so that people working with spatial data in R can easily do great
cartography using QGIS.

At this point do I just need to add a line to the Mentors table on the
wiki page? That's not a problem.

I have a semi-working prototype with many shortcomings (only works on
Linux, can't have QGIS and R responsive at the same time because
single-thread), but I think they could be overcome with a bit of a
rethink. Potentially it could build a complete remote-control
interface API for QGIS that could then control it from anything
(security, security, security....).

I think the R community will also be applying as a mentoring
organisation, but I feel this fits better under the OSGeo umbrella.

Barry