[SoC] Regarding GSoC Mentor Summit 2017

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 00:00:52 PDT 2017

Hi Rohith,

I reply here also to Barry that posed the same question.
The policy of OSGeo regarding Mentor Summit has been so far the following:
admins are given priority to go, and if they can't make it, or if Google
offers more invitations (as happened 2 years ago), mentors apply for it. 2
years ago there was a sort of "lottery" for the invitations. In any case,
whoever says that will go, also commits to going, because it's taking the
place of someone else that could go.
This year the conversation among admins regarding this has hardly started,
so please allow some more time to come up with names of people that commit
to go. In case 1 or 2 places are free, we will let mentors know and will
find a way to put in place some sort of selection among the mentors who
want to go. In any case, we are aware that preparation for the travel
requires due time, for visa application, etc. This applies to almost all of
us, so we'll take this into account.

Thanks,
Regards

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Rohith Reddy <rohithreddy2219 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A mail regarding the GSoC 2017 Mentor Summit was sent to all mentors.
>
> The mail says
>
> "If your Org has decided that you should attend the Mentor Summit please
> complete all 3 of these steps before September 5th, preferably at the same
> time. (The sooner the better to guarantee you a hotel room.)"
>
> I would like to know how the selection of participants for the mentor
> summit is done every year. I would like to attend the summit and represent
> OSGeo Organisation.
> I want to know if its possible, and what are the steps to be done.
> I feel, that my experience as an ex GSoC Student with the now GSoC mentor
> perspective, can be of value in the summit.
>
> Currently I have only my passport, and there is this link about the VISA:
> https://sites.google.com/view/2017gsocmentorsummit/travel/visas
> I think I should fill VISA form as soon as possible, but I am not
> registered to the event yet.
>
> I need a lot of guidance. Thanks for your attention
>
> Regards,
> Rohith Reddy.

Margherita Di Leo